Last updated on January 13th, 2021
Who would not want to know how much his/her hunt weighs? I mean, that should be your number one activity after fishing whether you are a commercial fisher, fishing for fun, or sport fishing. Enjoy a fishing adventure with your buddies, and make sure that you weigh the fish after fishing. It’s a great way to show your friends how you are catching big fish. For the sport fishers, weighing is what declares one a winner in a certain tournament.
Commercial fishers will need to know the weight of the fish to determine the price when selling the fish. In simpler terms, we can say that any fisher needs to weigh their fish. Are you wondering what to use to weigh the fish? There are a variety of scales you can use to weigh the fish. Today we are going to focus on weighing the fish with a hook scale. Are you ready to know how to weigh a fish with a hook scale before fishing? Read on to get more information.
How to Weigh a Fish with a Hook Scale
All experts in fishing and weighing fish will tell you that a hook scale is the best one you can ever get. The fascinating thing about hook scales is that they are portable. You can carry a hook scale easily without having to worry about getting tired. They also need a small storage space. A hook scale is ideal for all users, whether an expert or a newbie.
All you need to have is basic information about how to use a hook scale. The hooking technique of this scale is one challenge to most users. For those who know to hook, don’t know how to proceed after that. Well, we got you covered in all aspects. We will show you how to weigh your fish using a digital and also a traditional hook scale.
Traditional Hook Scale
Using a traditional hook scale can be a bit different from the digital one when it comes to reading the scale. However, it is nothing difficult if you follow this step by step procedure.
- A traditional hook scale can have some zero errors. In that case, you need to use damp ling when using a traditional scale to weigh your fish.
- Hook a damp sling onto the scale’s hook until the scale reads ‘zero’. To be sure that you have the correct zero readings, unhook the sling and hook it again. Ensure that the scale reads zero.
- At this point, you need to place your fish into the damp sling. Before doing that, you need to ensure that the fish is dry. Drain all the water from the fish if there is any. Once that is done, you can now place the fish into the sling.
- Pick a weighing rod to hold the traditional scale-up in such a way that the fish hangs perfectly.
- Since you are using a traditional scale, reading can’t be saved on the scale. This implies that there is a need to write down the readings in case you have more fish to weigh
- You can weigh one fish at a time by repeating the whole process from the beginning. Another technique if you have more fish is adding fish to the sling without removing the other one. In this case, you have to write the reading at each stage. This is to determine how much each fish weighs at the end.
- Once you are through with all the fish. you can read your recordings to see the weights
Using a digital fish scale might be a bit easier when it comes to reading the weight. A digital scale comes with a screen where the weight of the fish displays one you hook it. Most people nowadays are using digital scales. However, most don’t know the correct way to weigh a fish using a digital scale. Here is a simple guideline.
- Power on the digital scale
- On the digital scale, you will locate a button that clears the readings to zero. You need to press the button until you reach the units that you need to use. It can be pounds, kilograms, or ounces.
- Once you choose the units, you need to reset the scale, so there are no readings. The screen on the scale should display ‘Zero’ kilograms, ounces, or pounds, depending on the unit you chose. This shows that you are successful in resetting the scale.
- Now you need to hook fish. Hook the scale’s hook at the under of the fish’s gill plate.
- If the fish’s lips are still attached to the lure, hand the hook on the lure.
- Lift the scale with your fingers using the scale’s handle. Ensure that the scale or the fish does not touch the ground. With that, you will be sure that you get the correct measurement.
- Hold the scale steadily for a few seconds as it calculates the weight.
- Once the readings are steady, you can now read the weight from the display screen.
- A digital scale’s hook can weigh more than one fish. The best thing is that most digital scales save reading. In that way, you don’t need to keep writing the weights down. If hooking the fish is very hard for you, use a sling to a container to put in the fish
Fishing Scale Tips
- If you are using a digital scale, always reset it before using it. This is a good way to avoid false readings.
- Hand the scale on a weighing rod, tripod, or hands from the top instead of holding it from the sides.
- Ensure that the fish has no water when weighing it from a sling
- Avoid weighing your find in strong wind and breeze.
- Using a net is not recommendable in weighing fish.
- Ensure that your sling is damp when using it to measure fish using a traditional scale
Fishing is an exciting activity. You will learn how Fly Line weight and other aspects. However, fishing adventure becomes more memorable when you have a chance to weigh what you fish. Once you weigh your fish just a single time, you will never leave your scale again. It becomes more exciting to know how much your hunt weighs. You will agree with me that using hooks scale is the best. Carry any hook scale and enjoy the weighing moments.