Last updated on August 21st, 2022
Fish-finding sonars have revolutionized the fishing industry and anglers can now cast knowing the location of the fishes. That’s where this Garmin Striker 4cv review is coming from.
Garmin is one of the most popular names in the fishing world and they have a wide variety of advanced equipment to make the fishing expedition smooth and effective.
When the fish finders first entered the market the price was sky-high. Eventually, the scenario has changed and nowadays these are available at quite a budget-friendly price.
The Garmin Striker 4cv has excellent features that will help you catch fishes with ease. Let’s have an in-depth look at the features of the Garmin Striker 4cv.
The Features of Garmin Striker 4cv Model
Screen size: 3.5-inch
Screen resolution 480×320, LED backlight, HVGA color,
Other Features: Advanced ClearVu, CHIRP sonar technology, and dual-frequency, type: down imaging, Power Output: 500 Watts (RMS), Power Input: Current draw @ 12V: 0.40A
Maximum Depth: 830-feet in saltwater and1750-feet in freshwater
GPS: up to 5000 waypoints, Water rating: IPX7
Transmit Power: 300w (RMS), Frequencies supported: Traditional- 50/77/200 kHz, CHIRP (mid and high), ClearVü: 260/455/800 kHz
At a Glance Bestseller List:
Garmin Striker 4cv Review-in Details
If you’re looking for a fish-finder with a clear display then you’re in for a treat. The Garmin Striker 4cv comes with a bright and colorful 3.5-inch screen display. The color display screen includes high sensitivity CHIRP sonar and ClearVu technology that help you to read the ratings clearly.
The colors are quite vibrant and the LED backlight will help you see the readings in all sorts of lighting conditions. Using the GPS you can mark the hotspots so that you can come back later.
You can avail of previous data right on the display using this feature. Considering the price, it’s one of the best fish finders out there in terms of display.
The Garmin Striker 4cv has a simple and compact design. It’ll not occupy much space in your bag and you’ll be easily carrying it around.
This model weighs 230g with a dimension of 91.6 x 150.8 x 42.8 cm. So, even if you’re a heavy-packer, you can easily slide it off in your bag due to its small and compact size.
Youtube Video Credit Brian Richard
Despite being a budget-friendly fish-finder, the Garmin Striker 4cv comes with GPS technology. The integrated GPS module the exact current location of the fish and calculates the speed you need to cast the bait.
It also features a waypoint map that helps you navigate around the water. The high-sensitivity GPS allows you to track your current position.
Using its advanced technology, you can mark the locations and track them back on your next fishing trip.
One of the most innovative features of this fish-finder is the CHIRP sonar that gives you a continuous range of frequencies that gives you enough data to target fish easily.
This feature comes in very handy for ice fishing and jigging. What differentiates the CHIRP sonar from the regular sonar is the high-frequency transducer.
This provides a frequency level of 77/200 kHz that provides a higher level of clarity. This advanced sonar sends a sweep of frequencies, both high and low, and interprets the result to get a clearer result. It can create crisper fish arches with greater target separation.
With the STRIKER fishfinder series, you can easily view and navigate to waypoints like brush piles, stumps, or docks. You can also use it as a tool for finding your way back to the boat ramp.
The networking and connectivity features of the Garmin Striker 4cv is a bit on the downside. It doesn’t have any additional slots for inserting the micro SD card.
So, you’ll not be able to load the maps and charts on the device. It also doesn’t feature NMEA connectivity; therefore, give it a pass if networking and connectivity are your top priorities on a fish-finder.
The striker has both a fishfinder and a flasher in 1 unit. Whenever you are going stationary fishing, such as ice fishing or jigging for crappie, the built-in flasher will show you the bottom of your area, whether it is solid or muddy, what kind of bait (jig) and depth any type of fish swimming into its sonar beam.
ClearVü scanning sonar of Garmin gives you a detailed, comprehensive view, a photographic image such as structure, submerged objects, and fish what’s under your boat. The traditional CHIRP sonar is combined with ClearVü scanning sonar into one transducer.
What included in box
- STRIKER 4cv
- Transom and trolling motor mounts
- Tilt/swivel mount
- Power cable
- Compact and lightweight
- Bright display with LED backlight
- 2D and ClearVü sonars with the CHIRP technology
- Includes GPS
- Helps to figure out the speed required to cast the bait
- Display depth and water temperature
- Can be easily read under sunlight
- Doesn’t come with any screen protection
- No micro SD card slot
- Is this fish-finder waterproof?
Ans: Yes, this fish-finder is IPX7 waterproof. It can easily endure water splashes and rain without hampering the performance of the device.
- Can I add maps on this device?
Ans: No, this device doesn’t support maps.
- Is it possible to fit the device in the pocket?
Ans: Yes, the Garmin Striker 4cv has a compact size with a weight of only 230g. You can easily fit this in your pocket.
- Does it include Bluetooth connectivity?
Ans: Unfortunately, this device doesn’t come with Bluetooth connectivity.
Proper maintenance and care is the key to extend the life of a device. We have come up with some maintenance simple maintenance routine that will help you use the device for years and help you make the most of your investment on it.
- Take off the battery or any additional attachments before you start with the cleaning process.
- Get a damp cloth or paper towel and clean the outer surface of the device. Fish-finders are generally waterproof so, don’t worry about damaging the device with water.
- Use any cleaning agent if the unit is excessively dirty. However, make sure you wipe off everything properly before storing the device.
- The display of the device should stay crystal clear so that you can have a proper look at the readings. Even though the display is waterproof, never run it under running water as that will have damaging effects on the device over time. Gently rub the display with a clean cloth and glass cleaner to get rid of the dirt.
- The transducer tends to gather algae and other microflora over time if it’s on the boat for a long time. Clean the transducer regularly with water and soap to keep it away from microorganisms.
- Storage is extremely important when it comes to electrical appliances. When you’re storing the fish-finder, make sure you keep it in a place away from direct sunlight and humid. Also, clean the outer body of the device with a dry cloth every few weeks even when it’s not in use.
And that was our Garmin striker 4cv review. Garmin never fails to come up with innovative products without making a dent in your wallet. The Garmin Striker 4cv is loaded with outstanding features to make your fishing expedition a successful one. With its advanced ClearVu technology and GPS you’ll be easily able to locate the fishes and cast the bait at the right speed. You’ll also be able to mark the hot spots with the GPS. Considering the pocket-friendly budget, it’s indeed a great choice for both professional and novice anglers.